Group Director - Engineering Tools & Processes, Crane Aerospace & Electronics, USA
Chandru Narayan has been the Group Director of Engineering Tools & Processes at Crane Aerospace & Electronics since 2007. He is responsible for establishing and implementing standard processes and best practices in product development, new product introduction, project management, offshoring, enterprise tools, product data management, configuration management, and technical publications. With significant experience in architecture and implementation of large Teamcenter PLM systems at Boeing and Crane, he currently manages the Teamcenter Unified PLM upgrade across 6 different business units at Crane.
Presenting: Speeding-up Product Development and Reducing Risk through the Early Alignment of Product Structures and their BOMs - 8 Mar 2016, 02:55
In most companies today, the siloed approach to internal operations means that engineering designs a product according to industry feedback/demand and of course what technology dictates. They then create the eBOM. Often, when this then reaches more downstream departments, it becomes clear that some aspects of the design are not easily, or not at all, transferable to production and the mBOM. And so the back and forth begins, wasting time and money. At Crane Aerospace they are currently working to leverage PLM to apply multiple perspectives of product structure early and how this then should be developed in each domain allowing for downstream visibility and thus a more efficient development timeline.
This session will discuss:
- Understanding the former model of product development at Crane Aerospace
- What were the major challenges of eBOM to mBOM conversion?
- How can PLM be leveraged to gain early visibility of BOMs and product structure for downstream visibility through production, sourcing, supply chain and maintenance?
- Aligning the needs of each product structure domain - engineering, manufacturing, as-built and as-maintained
- Moving from a single to a multiple product structure model
- Expediting the product development process, reducing risk and ensuring market opportunities are not missed